I recently completed a full kitchen remodel and my one real splurge was for a 36” 6-burner range by Zline with a wok burner. Being able to send burner flame up the sides of my wok was, well, pretty awesome. Anyway, this is a good dish.
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 3-4tbsp cooking oil
- 4 cups cooked jasmine rice, chilled
- 6 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 Thai chiles, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped, or red cabbage, broccoli, you name it.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 4-8 ounces of your protein of choice
- 2 cups Thai basil, leaves left whole
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro (optional)
- 2 scallions, diced for garnish
- Whisk together oyster sauce, fish sauce, soy sauce, and sugar. Set aside.
- Spray a wok or large frying pan with olive oil spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and chili (or serrano) peppers and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the red pepper and onion and stir fry until the onion is translucent. If using chicken or beef, add it with the the onion and red pepper. Cook until chicken is done, or beef is about medium.
- Push ingredients in the wok/pan aside and quickly scramble the egg.
- Add the oyster sauce mixture and stir everything together.
- Raise the heat to high and add the chilled rice. Stir until blended with the sauce and other ingredients, breaking up clumps of rice.
- Add more soy, oyster, or fish sauce, if necessary (or to taste).
- When everything is blended together and rice is hot, remove from heat and stir in the basil.
- Garnish with cilantro and scallions.